Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you purchase any items through these links. Any products I recommend, I genuinely love and want to share with you all.
We eat chicken thighs in our house at least twice a week. In my opinion, they are the juiciest part of the chicken and in turn the most flavorful. And, when you get that krispy skin, well, there’s simply nothing better. This easy oven baked chicken recipe is the kind of dish you make when you’ve had a long day and you need to do the most with doing the least. But, it’s also the dish you can make when feeding a crowd. It’s savory flavors contrasted with the honey is heavenly. Comes together so easily, I seriously can’t wait for you to try it!
If using on a sheet pan, I highly recommend putting a piece of parchment paper first so the chicken doesn’t stick to the pan.
shop the post
How long do you cook chicken thighs?
The trick to getting that krispy skin on the chicken is to sear it at a high heat. I cook these at 400 degrees fahrenheit for about 35 minutes. Keep in mind though, every oven is different. So, check your chicken at the 35 minute mark to see if it has an internal temperature of 165 degrees fahrenheit and that golden brown skin. If not, leave it in a little bit longer.
The internal temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees fahrenheit.
How to get crispy skin on chicken
The trick to getting that really krispy skin is to remove as much moisture as possible. Once your chicken thighs are fully defrosted, place them out on a piece of parchment paper and dab with a clean paper towel. The purpose is to try and get them as dry as possible.
Once you’ve dried them out, make your dry rub mixture and sprinkle all over the chicken. Do not be shy. This recipe calls for about 1 tsp per ingredient, but if you like extra thyme, throw some more on there! Then, you’ll douse a healthy dose of honey on top! This will give it that nice golden brown color and the sugar in the honey will caramelize giving the chicken skin that nice sear. Before putting it in the oven, brush a tiny bit of oil on top and you’re good to go!
- 4 large chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- oil for brushing
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Prepare your chicken thighs by placing it on a piece of parchment paper. Take a clean, dry paper towel and pat down to dry out any moisture in the chicken. Set aside.
3. Mix together the garlic powder, dried thyme, paprika, corn starch, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
4. Once ingredients are incorporated, sprinkle and cover your chicken thighs. Make sure to get all the corners.
5. Drizzle about 1/2 tsp worth of honey on each chicken thigh.
6. Lightly brush the top of each chicken thigh with olive oil to give the dry rub a bit of moisture.
7. Place the chicken thighs in your baking dish or a sheet pan (if using a sheet pan, I recommend putting a piece of parchment paper on it for easy clean up!).
8. Place in oven and cook for 35 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees fahrenheit and the skin should be golden brown. Each oven is different so you may need to cook slightly longer depending on oven.