Scrambled. Boiled. Poached. Coddled. Over easy. Hard boiled. On avocado toast. Between bacon and cheese. Shakshuka.
Did I miss any? Oh yes, my latest favorite– with red wine.
No, that’s not a typo. And, no I’m not suggesting sipping on a glass of pinot with your toast at 8am (although I certainly wouldn’t stop you!).
Cue these over easy eggs with mushrooms cooked in a red wine butter sauce with sautéed spinach. There’s garlic in here, sage, and a hint of lemon — it’s packed with flavor. And, luckily all these ingredients are all pantry friendly.
Shop the post
Yes this recipe looks fancy-shmancy – but don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s hard to make. It’s actually a really simple egg recipe. Like really, really, simple and takes about 15 minutes. Not to mention it’s a great way to start the day with some extra veggies.
It all starts with sautéing mushrooms in a bit of butter and garlic. See? We’re already off to a good start. Then, deglazing the pan some with red wine, adding in spinach, and gently adding an egg on top. That’s it!
Hope this recipe helps break you out of your
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp dry sage
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp dry red wine
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- squeeze of a lemon
- 2 eggs
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat
- Add mushrooms and saute for about 3 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Adjust heat so the garlic doesn't burn
- Add sage and stir mixing with all mushrooms. Let cook for another minute or so
- Deglaze pan with red wine. Let the liquid reduce by half
- While the liquid reduced, cook your over eggs to your liking -- over easy, over medium, or poached
- Add baby spinach to mushrooms and cook until leaves begin to shrink. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and mix together.
- Add mushroom and spinach mixture to plate and top with eggs